Looking for a tasteful yet affordable way to give your home a softer and more calming feel? Then curtains are the way to go. Historically, curtains were solely used to block light, and sometimes wind, from entering a room. However, as times have changed, curtains are now hung to complete the interior décor of a room. And almost always, curtains will give a room a softer feel.
Curtains Provide a Softer Atmosphere
A change of curtains is an excellent way to beautify any room, house or even office, without burning a hole in your wallet. With it’s added warmth, movement and texture, curtains can easily provides a softer feel, thus making the room look more inviting and comfortable. Hence, a room complete with the right curtains will allow for both your guests and you to feel more relaxed.
Here are some tips on how you can achieve the right ambiance at home, with the help of curtains.
How to Give your Room a More Relaxed Feel with Curtains?
Two things make up the feel that curtains provide – the fabric and colours. Both play and important role in enhancing the beauty of the room and creating the right atmosphere.
Fabrics that Add a Softer Touch
- Sheer, light-weight and light-colored fabrics are the often the best choice if a more relaxed feel is what you are after. Listed below are some of our recommended fabric choices for a soothing, calmer feel:
- Linen is a very fine, thin, translucent fabric used to make a room look light and airy.
- Calico is an affordable, semi-sheer and naturally light-colored fabric used in informal settings, giving the room a more comfortable and relaxed environment.
- Gingham is a medium to light-weight cotton, lending an air of homeliness and the countryside to a room, allowing it to feel warmer, and more comfortable.
Colors for a Soft Atmosphere
In addition to aesthetics and style, colors play a very important role when selecting curtains. Colours tend to be associated with moods, where warmer colors – such as red, yellow and orange – can invoke feelings of happiness, optimism and energy while cooler colors – such as green, blue and purple – usually express calmness and relaxation, but can also imply sadness. Neutral colors – such as black, grey, tan, white and brown – are more subjective. Some people simply love them while others while others prefer to avoid them.
To achieve a softer feel for your home, these are the fabric colours we recommend:
- Pastel (Pink, Blue, Green, Orange, Purple, etc.)
As far as possible, choose lighter, less striking colors over bolder ones as bolder colours on curtains tend to make a room appear smaller and hence, less cozy. In addition, bolder coloured curtains tend to stand out too strongly and will destroy whatever soft atmosphere you try to create.
Agree with our advise on how to create a softer feel with curtains in any home? Or you may perhaps have some useful tips of your own. If so, we are sure our readers will want to hear from you. You can share your ideas by simply commenting below.